application criteria - Community Grants
The Mental Health Foundation of Nova Scotia administers a Community Grants Program to support individuals and organizations province-wide to undertake programs or services that will benefit the mental health of individuals throughout Nova Scotia.
We are accepting applications for our bi-annual Community Grants from January 4, 2018 to February 23, 2018. Apply Now
Please review our criteria carefully before applying. Consult our Frequently Asked Questions section for more information.
The Foundation has changed the Community Grants application process to reflect the frequency of funding needs. For the first time, we will be able to award grant funding on a bi-annual basis.
Call for applications
We recommend those who are seeking funding for year-round programming or funding over $10,000 apply in January. All other applicants have the option to apply when funding is needed. (Please keep the length of the granting process in mind and apply accordingly.)
First call: January 2018
Second call: July 2018
End of February 2018
End of August 2018
Interim Report - Download PDF
As the Foundation has a responsibility to report back to our donors, we require successful applicants to provide us with an update on the status of their projects. This report should explain how the first installment of grant funding has helped you deliver your program/service, including Financials. It should also touch on the community impact of your work.
First Call Grants due Friday, December 15, 2017 (for funding that was awarded in April 2017):
Second Call Grants due Friday, January 19, 2018 (for funding that was awarded in September 2017):
The Foundation strives to fund programs that are developed by Nova Scotians who are passionate about changing the way people think about mental illness.
Each submission must meet the following criteria to be forwarded to the Grants Committee for scoring:
- clearly state the project's objective
- clearly state the project's timeline
- clearly state the project's budget
- align with the Foundation's Vision and Mission
- assist the Foundation in generating at least two of the following: awareness, recognition, relationships and growth
- impact an appropriate number of people
- align with the Foundation's Gift Acceptance Policy
- have proper attention paid to the overall quality (spelling, grammar, completeness, readability, etc.)
- be unique (no copy & paste) and compelling
Funding for the following will not be considered:
- requests over $25,000 will not be accepted
- conferences, sponsorships or annual fundraising campaigns
- operating expenses (except initially for new undertakings)
- operating deficits
- projects that should normally be funded by government
- general endowment funds
- building construction
- equipment, improvements or undertakings that are essentially commercial
- projects outside Nova Scotia
* Note to successful applicants: Funds not spent during the current fiscal year must be returned to the Foundation, along with your Final Report.
Named community grants
We are pleased to offer these additional, partner-sponsored community grants:
Compass Group Canada Community Grant -This funding will be made available to a Community Grant submission that provides educational programs that focus on healthy eating and food preparation for Nova Scotians who are living with mental illness and/or their families. Learn More
Pictou County Community Grant - This funding is open to individuals, agencies and organizations with a mental health mandate and those who work directly with mental health consumers in Pictou County. Learn More
JSMT Community Grant - This funding is open to individuals, agencies and organizations with a mental health mandate and those who work directly with mental health consumers in the Sackville area. Learn More
We are accepting applications for our bi-annual Community Grants from January 4, 2018 to February 23, 2018.