application criteria - Community Grants
The Mental Health Foundation of Nova Scotia administers a Community Grants Program to support individuals and organizations province-wide to undertake programs or services that will benefit the mental health of individuals throughout Nova Scotia.
The first call for applications for our bi-annual Community Grants has now closed. Please check back again in July.
Please review our criteria carefully before applying. Consult our Frequently Asked Questions section for more information.
The Foundation has changed the Community Grants application process, effective Jan. 16, 2017, to reflect the frequency of funding needs. For the first time, we will be able to award grant funding on a bi-annual basis.
Call for applications
We recommend those who are seeking funding for year-round programming or funding over $10,000 apply in January. All other applicants have the option to apply when funding is needed. (Please keep the length of the granting process in mind and apply accordingly.)
First call: January 2017
Second call: July 2017
End of February 2017
End of August 2017
The Foundation strives to fund programs that are developed by Nova Scotians who are passionate about changing the way people think about mental illness.
Each submission must meet the following criteria to be forwarded to the Grants Committee for scoring:
- clearly state the project's objective
- clearly state the project's timeline
- clearly state the project's budget
- align with the Foundation's Vision and Mission
- assist the Foundation in generating at least two of the following: awareness, recognition, relationships and growth
- impact an appropriate number of people
- align with the Foundation's Gift Acceptance Policy
- have proper attention paid to the overall quality (spelling, grammar, completeness, readability, etc.)
- be unique (no copy & paste) and compelling
Funding for the following will not be considered:
- requests over $25,000 will not be accepted
- conferences, sponsorships or annual fundraising campaigns
- operating expenses (except initially for new undertakings)
- operating deficits
- projects that should normally be funded by government
- general endowment funds
- building construction
- equipment, improvements or undertakings that are essentially commercial
- projects outside Nova Scotia
* Note to successful applicants: Funds not spent during the current fiscal year must be returned to the Foundation, along with your Final Report.
Named community grants
We are pleased to offer these additional, partner-sponsored community grants:
Compass Group Canada Community Grant -This funding will be made available to a Community Grant submission that provides educational programs that focus on healthy eating and food preparation for Nova Scotians who are living with mental illness and/or their families. Learn More
Pictou County Community Grant - This funding is open to individuals, agencies and organizations with a mental health mandate and those who work directly with mental health consumers in Pictou County. Learn More
JSMT Community Grant - This funding is open to individuals, agencies and organizations with a mental health mandate and those who work directly with mental health consumers in the Sackville area. Learn More