You can make stories like this possible.
ANSWERING THE CALL
A Mental Health Foundation of Nova Scotia Community Grant has supported Kids Help Phone in providing mental health focused counseling by phone and online to children and youth across the province. For many children in rural areas, Kids Help Phone is the only way to access professional counselors in an atmosphere of safety and confidentiality.
By the time a child reaches out to Kids Help Phone, they are often in a crisis and unable to move forward without help. Kids Help Phone provides a safe space online where kids can share their innermost thoughts,
secrets, and feelings in a safe and nonjudgmental environment and also read about other young people experiencing similar issues – normalizing their own feelings and challenges. Kids Help Phone counselors are there for every call, web post, and live chat, and this grant helps ensure kids receive a response as quickly as possible.
Kids from Nova Scotia use Kids Help Phone:
• Kids from 105 Nova Scotia communities reached out to Kids Help Phone by phone in 2014.
• Calls from Nova Scotia represent 3 per cent of all calls to Kids Help Phone. This means that
approximately 17 kids from Nova Scotia called each day.
• Ask Us Online posts from Nova Scotia represent 4 per cent of Kids Help Phone’s web counseling service.
• Requests for live chat counseling from Nova Scotia represent 3 per cent of all chat sessions.
• Number of visits to Kids Help Phone’s website from Nova Scotia: 24,330.
Story photography generously provided by Scott Munn, PhotoMunn.
Thanks to teacher Jason Carmichael, and students from Graham Creighton Junior High for volunteering for this photo shoot!